If you’re looking to test your rules knowledge, you can’t look past the 7-boat pile up in the Sydney to Gold Coast Yacht Race as a chance to learn from others’ mistakes. Catch what the jury had to say about it here.
It was the crash involving Concubine, which forced the yacht to retire from the race due to damage sustained from the incident.
Sydney Gold Coast Race 2016 Protests 1-7 inclusive
3 August 2016 at 7.30am Protests 1, 2, 3, 4 5, 6 and 7 heard concurrently.
The jury considered the protests valid.
1. All boats in the incident were on Starboard approaching South Head
2. Swish, overlapped to windward of a group of boats, arrived at SH within 3 BL of the point. She was clear ahead of the other boats involved in the incident.
3. The Goat was overlapped just to windward of Merlin with PlayStation overlapped approximately 1-2 boat lengths to leeward.
4. Concubine was clear astern of The Goat, Merlin, Playstation and Swish.
5. Espresso was clear astern of Concubine and steering a course to leeward of Concubine.
6. The Goat hailed for water to pass the south head reef and a spectator boat
7. Merlin bears away before the spectator boat. Playstation luffs to avoid Swish.
8. Merlin and the Goat pass the spectator boat as Espresso becomes overlapped to leeward of Merlin and to windward of Playstation
9. Merlin and The Goat run aground, causing both boats to immediately move astern
10. Contact occurs between the boom of Merlin and windward side of Espresso. Simultaneously contact occurs between the spinnaker of Espresso and the windward side of Playstation.
11. Contact also occurs between Playstation and Swish.
12. Concubine bears away to avoid Merlin but cannot as she is still overlapped with Espresso. She then luffs and collides with the port side of Merlin, who is still moving astern.
13. The Goat, also moving astern collides with the starboard side of Merlin.
14. Playstation did a two turn penalty.
15. Concubine and Merlin retired from the race due to damage sustained in the incident.
1. Swish having arrived a south head clear ahead of the other boats, was not required to give room to the other boats. Once the other boats became overlapped to windward of her, she was unable to give room and unable to avoid contact.
2. When Playstation became overlapped to windward of Swish, there was room between her and Merlin for both Merlin and the Goat to safely avoid the obstruction.
3. Espresso, in establishing an overlap to leeward of Merlin, Concubine and The Goat, was required to give each of the boats room including room to avoid the obstruction. Being to windward of Playstation, Espresso was also required to keep clear of Playstation. Sydney Gold Coast Race 2016 Protests 1-7 inclusive 3 August 2016 at 7.30am
4. Espresso failed to keep clear of Playstation and failed to give Merlin room to keep clear.
5. Playstation was unable to keep clear of Swish due to Espresso’s actions.
6. The Goat, as windward boat entitled to room, did not keep clear of Merlin but was unable to do so due to Merlin failing to give her room.
7. Merlin failed to give the Goat room to pass the obstruction, but was unable to do so due to the actions of Expresso.
8. Merlin’s sudden change course and reversing did not give Concubine room to keep clear, but was unable to do so due to Espresso’s actions in failing to give her room.
1. Playstation broke rule 11, but is exonerated
2. The Goat broke rule 11, but is exonerated
3. Merlin broke rule 11, 16, 19.2, but is exonerated
4. Concubine broke rule 15 but is exonerated
5. Expresso broke rule 11, 14, 15, and 19 and is scored DSQ.
Jury: Steve Hatch (chair), Andrew Baglin, Rosemary Collins